Twingo Impressions - Renault Twingo Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Twingo Impressions

We've begun to see Twingo drive reviews making their appearances, while consumers have still not been given the chance to get their dirty little fingers on one we can still try and discern an impression from the scrawling of the "professionals"

First up in the powerplant. Neither the SCe70 1.0L Triple nor the TCe 900cc Turbo Triple produce overtly impressive numbers and according to some reviewers neither delivers an adequate punch either. Richard Hammond for instance found the Turbo Twingo to be peaky and lacks a certain smoothness to the throttle. While he goes on to wax about the less potent SCe70...

Quote:
Neither Twingo is quick, and the 69bhp version certainly isn’t with 0-62mph taking 14.5sec (as opposed to 10.8sec). But the turbo car is peaky and doesn’t have a smooth throttle response; the non-turbo, meanwhile, has really good response from low down and sounds nicer.
While others feel opposite...

Quote:
That depends which engine you get. There's a three-cylinder 70bhp un-turbocharged base engine that is pretty hopeless at overtaking or hill-climbing. You need the turbo engine, also a triple, that makes 90bhp and a healthy dose of torques. Thanks to the turbo, and the Twingo's light weight, it's the best-performing of the sub-minis, and the most fun you'll have in a baby car at the price.
But the cheaper 1.0 SCe 70 is definitely the favorite despite its apparent lack of grunt

Quote:
Of the two engines, the cheaper 1.0 SCe 70 is definitely the one to go for. It builds speed progressively, and revs more smoothly than the turbocharged 0.9 TCe, so while the entry-level car needs to be worked a little harder if you want to nip into fast-moving traffic, it still feels peppy enough around town, and it’s easier to drive.
But what about the handles?

Quote:
There's no oversteer. A non-switchable ESP is like some overzealous H&S officer in a hi-vis. But the layout still has advantages. The light nose means it's super-agile down twisty roads. The steering isn't corrupted by torque demands, so feels very pure. The engine and exhaust are further from your ears, so their noise is diminished. And it's great for a city car too, because the turning circle is extraordinarily tight. You can pull sneaky u-turns and backdoubles like a London cabbie. Getting into and out of tight parking spots is almost comically easy.
Quote:
Handling is also better on the 1.0 70 SCe. The higher-powered 0.9 TCe gets variable-ratio steering, so it responds more quickly as you apply lock, but in practice this just makes it feel a little inconsistent, where the base car’s slower steering is more predictable and reassuring
Quote:
The Twingo is well behaved, even if you chuck it around. If you think you’re buying a car that’ll be brilliant at skids then you’ll be disappointed.

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 05:11 PM

Glad that the handling is good but a bit of a mixed response with regards to the engine. Hopefully things will become more clear as more reviews come out. What I'm really looking forward to some members on our forum letting us know what their impressions are. I find those to be the most reliable.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

of course, but logically the pitfalls of the Turbo Triple make sense. Considering a 3 cylinder already has deadzones in its combustion cycle, coupled with the peaky nature of single turbines it becomes no surprise that the power delivery is inconsistent, especially exacerbated by city driving no doubt!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 06:03 AM

My daughter has one. 1 litre Expression, a/c, in Blue.
She moved from a Clio Mk2 dCi, mainly because I promised her that if she got a good job, passed her driving test and sorted her life out I'd buy her a new car.

She loves it to bits. So much she won't let me drive it.

It was also 138 cheaper to insure. I'm not sure yet, I've had experience of rear engined cars (I was a Hillman Imp nut in a past life) and I'm curious about what it will be like in cross winds. The fuel consumption real world is circa 44mpg, not at all what the dealer promised surprise surprise. But if she's happy so am I.

Drive a Jaaaaaag myself...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost it View Post
My daughter has one. 1 litre Expression, a/c, in Blue.
She moved from a Clio Mk2 dCi, mainly because I promised her that if she got a good job, passed her driving test and sorted her life out I'd buy her a new car.

She loves it to bits. So much she won't let me drive it.

It was also 138 cheaper to insure. I'm not sure yet, I've had experience of rear engined cars (I was a Hillman Imp nut in a past life) and I'm curious about what it will be like in cross winds. The fuel consumption real world is circa 44mpg, not at all what the dealer promised surprise surprise. But if she's happy so am I.

Drive a Jaaaaaag myself...
Although it's rear wheel drive it doesn't feel like it is, in no way has the back ever come out like it would in a Jag / BMW etc.

Fuel consumption is quite good for me, certainly close to what Renault specify. Could be worse of course - you could have bought the VW!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Renault Twingo Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page