Twingo Brings things Full Circle, Whats Old is New and What's New is for You! - Renault Twingo Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Twingo Brings things Full Circle, Whats Old is New and What's New is for You!

Once upon a time in a galaxy far, far away... Pardon, wrong story.

Once upon time, in a place much different from today the city car was born, and born in a much different way than the current crop of nubile non starters, like the Aygo or dare I, the Twingo II. If you remember the 1950's like I do not, you will not remember that at one time the land was graced with a gamut of small rear engined cars. The Original Beetle, the Original 500 and the Renault 4CV all had their engines in the wrong places, sticking out the back?

In their heyday all three were moved in multi millions, however there were safety concerns that ultimately led to the demise of what was fashionable. For one the primitive shoe string suspensions overloaded with the excess load sticking out the back developed an exhilarating habit of having the rear trying to overtake the front. Plus then there was the unfortunate necessity that your legs serve as the crumple zone as protection was akin to a dustbin lid. Now keep in mind, these are problems of the 1950's.

Cerebral lift off oversteer is guaranteed to not happen as its obvious that electronic safety wizardry will keep the Twingo nose first. Crashing should be every bit as fun in the Twingo as in any other modern Renault, who have shown themselves quite competent in this area of late.

Functionally the Twingo benefits from pushing its cabin forward into the area typically reserved for the get up and go bits, meaning the Twingo III's cabin is 13cm LONGER than Twingo II, despite lopping 10 cm off the total length. Additionally because the bonnet doesn't need to crest the engine, you're offered excellent front visibility as the nose slops off.

We've seen Tata and Smart attempt to revive the rear engine, rear drive layout, both were dizzying catastrophes of execution. I'm honestly jumping for joy about the potential of the Twingo III, no honestly, I haven't been this excited since my first motorbike.

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 12:05 PM

it should be good to see how the new twingo handles

its like a mini porsche! lol
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 04:11 PM

Well written post here. I think its interesting to think about the area of the cabin and the positioning of the engine. The whole crumple zone thing is worrying but since Renault gets pretty good crash test ratings so I am not overly concerned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGo View Post
Well written post here. I think its interesting to think about the area of the cabin and the positioning of the engine. The whole crumple zone thing is worrying but since Renault gets pretty good crash test ratings so I am not overly concerned.

Indeed, nothing to fear. The older cars your feet were basically on top of the front axles...

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 01:05 PM

plus cars dont sell well if they dont have at least decent crash ratings

so manufacturers know to make sure that part is done right
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 04:15 PM

When you are buying these small city cars you have to understand that they won't be the safest on the market though. Purely based on their size, if another vehicle crashes into you its more likely that your car will see more damage than the other.

If safety is your number one concern then you have to get something a bit bigger, at least a sedan.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

yes but city cars by nature are usually attracted to collisions with other city cars, or at least low speed crashes within city centres.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Renault Twingo Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page