New Twingo - lots of mysterious electrical issues. - Renault Twingo Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 03:16 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New Twingo - lots of mysterious electrical issues.

Hello everyone.

Mum in law recently bought a built-to-order Twingo, and it is in many ways the ideal car to enable her to carry on driving at the age of 80 :-) Auto-everything, cracking little beast.

Since being bought, it has seemingly had a few weird things going on in the electrical department, and these have happened enough times now for us to suspect they aren't user-faults.

For instance, mum couldn't lock the car on a few occasions - it simply wouldn't respond to the fob button - and I put this down to her not having fully shut a door or something like that. The last time, however, it was when she'd returned home so I went out to have a go myself. I opened and firmly closed all doors - including the tailgate - but zero response from the hob. I had to turn the ignition on and off before the fob was able to lock the car as normal. This has now happened at least 4 times, in a car that's as many months old.

Last week, on her return from the shops, mum came in to tell me her lights wouldn't go off and there was a warning buzzer sounding inside the car. Sure enough, with the key out of the ignition and the doors shut, the lights were still on (in daylight - stalk on 'Auto' as always) and there was a continuous bleep inside the car - a sound unlike other warning beeps I'd heard from the car in that the beeps blended in to each other in more like a warble instead of being separate defined 'beeps'. I turned the stalk control from 'auto' to 'off' (and I think the stalk in auto position felt 'rough'/ sticky) and then back to auto; the lights went off, we locked the car and all seemed fine. Later that eve we looked out - and the lights had come back on...

Then there's the auto wipers which don't. Whenever she begins a new journey, it doesn't matter if it's piddling down but the wipers don't come on when it's been left in 'auto' mode. I found that turning them to 'off' and then back to 'auto' makes them work again, and I'd assumed that this was perhaps needed at the start of new journeys so as to first tell the car what a clear screen 'looked' like so it could then judge what rain is in comparison. But, is this really needed? Shouldn't the car be able to ID heavy rain from the off? Do other folk simply leave their wipers in 'auto' and that's good enough?

Any thoughts, folks? I suspect these sorts of intermittent faults will be a compete headache for Renault to trace and fix - unless they are perhaps related due to a central CPU issue?

Many thanks.

(Other than that, a fab car :-) )

Last edited by Babs; 04-01-2019 at 03:20 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Renault Twingo Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page