Twingo GT hard suspension - Renault Twingo Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Twingo GT hard suspension

I have a 2017 Twingo GT, at the moment and it has only covered about 1700 miles. I find the suspension is very hard on the type of road that I drive on and was wondering if anyone has modified the suspension to make the ride a bit more supple.

The Twingo does not get a Renault Sport badge but it is actually engineered with the help of the RS division, they must have engineered the chassis for use on the Nuremberg.

It is suggested that the suspension gets a 40% stiffer springs, stiffer dampers thicker front anti roll bar and a 20mm drop in ride height with 17” wheels and rubber band tyres.

I was considering 16” wheels with a higher side wall to help with the ride, I am also investigating springs from one of the good manufacturers like H+R

Any suggestions.
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,

I speak of experience here! I have a Twingo GT (various posts about it on here) and like you, was worried that the firmer suspension might be a bit too firm for daily use on our real roads, which as we know are generally poor.

However, I was pleasantly surprised that compared to the previous car, which was a very up market Laguna coupe "cruiser", whose suspension really was too hard and spoiled what was a gorgeous car to look at, I found that even on the Twingo GT, the suspension wasn't as crashy and hard.

But I do have a thing about unnecessary "blingy fashion accessory wheels" with lower profile tyres, such as the 17" ones on our GTs. And likewise I agree that most modern car suspensions are too firm.

So to help smooth things out, I bought a set of 15" wheels from an online supplier (Wheelbase Alloys in Oldham, but others are available) Have a read of the thread I put up about them here. (Link below hopefully)

Even if I say so myself, I think they look pretty good. The other advantage is that 15" tyres are cheaper than the 17" ones. Also, come the time that I part exchange the GT, I will put the original wheels and tyres back on it, which will be pleasantly undamaged!

They have softened the ride slightly and are also a little quieter.
One tip though - don't forget to get some Renault TPMS (tyre pressure monitor valves) fitted to the wheels before they put the tyres on, otherwise your tyre pressure warning lights will light up all the time.

Hope this helps.

https://www.twingoforum.co.uk/forum/1...ew-wheels.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Renault Twingo Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page