Orange spanner light staying on and hesitation when cold - Renault Twingo Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 05:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Orange spanner light staying on and hesitation when cold

As above, I have a couple of issues that I wondered if anyone could shed any light on? I have a 0.9 TCe Dynamique.

The first is that the amber/orange spanner light came on on Tuesday evening and stayed on. The handbook is a bit alarmist and not very helpful in this situation - 'This lights up when the ignition is switched on and goes out as soon as the engine is started. It may light up in conjunction with other warning lights. You should drive very carefully to an authorised dealer as soon as possible. Failure to follow this recommendation risks damaging your vehicle'

So that's what I did, and they told me (in the most unconvincing manner) that it was just the service warning light - I only have 1300 miles on the clock but my car was pre-reg in at the end of March 15 so it would fit with a 12 month warning.

I also have a hesitation when the engine is cold, particularly on light throttle loads that seems to be getting worse but I've no idea if the 2 items are related. Oh and the throttle pedal seems a bit sticky, again particularly at the end of its travel.

Anyway the car is booked in for just under 2 weeks time for its first service, I just wondered if anyone else has had the light come on or if the hesitation is a general problem with the TCe engine?
post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 05:42 AM Thread Starter

Well to update this - I called another dealer for a 2nd opinion, and they said the same thing. And in a more convincing way as well, so I'm a little happier now.

Still unsure on the hesitation - I notice there is another thread regarding this subject so it may not be an isolated problem. I'll get them to have a look at it while it's in for the service on the 8th March. I've been running it on super unleaded (it being a turbo) but perhaps it doesn't actually like that?!
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hesitation, I think its to do with the Eco tuning. Car has co2 rating below 100 so runs ultra lean at low rpm. If you try running on 98octane instead of 95 it seems to improve although it can take a little while for ecu to adjust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 05:46 AM Thread Starter

The hesitation is verging on a misfire now when cold. Thing is it wasn't doing this for the first 3 weeks or so of ownership. And the first 3 tanks have been super - Shell V Power and Tesco Momentum 99.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Well I was right to feel unconvinced about what the Renault dealers said - the light has magically gone out by itself! The hesitation seems to have got a bit better as well, although it's hard to tell if that is just to do with the slightly higher ambient temperature.

On the flip side my gear change indicator seems to have stopped working lol
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 11:32 AM

If you do get it in it would be worth them hooking it up to a diagnostics machine.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

It threw a proper wobbly this morning whilst my (6 month pregnant) other half was driving it. Spanner on along with ABS and maybe some others. By the time I got to it a few minutes later and restarted it, it had cleared itself entirely and was fine. It goes in for the service next Tuesday so I'm hoping there's some sort of error log that they can get off of it. Otherwise I might see if I can get a cheap fault code reader or something.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 05:34 PM

Just had the orange spanner with a loss of power. Garage ended up replacing the turbo (under guarantee)
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 05:55 AM Thread Starter

Ouch! Hope that's not the problem I have!
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Well to update this;

Master tech came out with me when I dropped the car off. It didn't hesitate - it was less likely to as the car was warm but when it was at its worst it would do it even when warm. Tech was really good and it was good to chat to someone who can explain why certain things may be happening and what it is likely to be. Re the hesitation - TADTS but it shouldn't last for long and it can be more pronounced on a turbo car.

They plugged into the ECU and found historic error codes but nothing conclusive. Those errors codes were cleared and that has brought the gearchange indicator back online.

The car feels fine at the moment, so I guess I'll just have to wait and see if it happens again. They were happy to take it back in in that case.

I asked about sticky throttle pedal at the end of the movement but apparently that is just an override (referred to as kickdown but as the tech said, it's actually not) to disengage the cruise/speed limiter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Renault Twingo Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page