Orange spanner light staying on and hesitation when cold - Page 3 - Renault Twingo Forum
User Tag List

post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No update, it's still hesitating and dropping revs down too low at times. But as it never actually stalls and doesn't do it all the time I think it would be a waste of time getting it into Renault (and it's quite a lot of hassle for me as I have to get a loan car etc as it's my commuter). I figured I'll mention it when it goes in for its 3rd service at 26k, which is probably 2 or so months away for me.
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 04:28 AM Thread Starter

Update:

Went into Renault for 3rd service yesterday (26k). Dropping revs issue was looked at but rather annoyingly (or good in some ways) it just seems to have almost entirely stopped doing it from the beginning of this week. So watch this space I guess. I don't think it's gone entirely but it feels smoother and better at tickover now.

Cost was Ł295 as it includes a brake fluid change and loan car insurance waiver. No dedicated loan cars so I was given a Kadjar demo for a change!
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know this is an old thread, but it has been an interesting read that resonates with my recent experiences.

A few months ago, my Twingo TCe sporadically wouldn't start at random times; the engine just didn't turn over. Then, one morning after not driving for a couple of days, the engine wouldn't turn over at all. Battery was completely flat. So, I recharged it.

After recharging, the engine started perfectly, but now:

• the orange spanner light was on
• gear change indicator didn't work
• no ECO mode functioning
• cruise control and speed limiter not working

Took it to the local Renault service centre who told me they would sort it. Whilst waiting for the appointment date, I scanned the car for error codes, and there was one Pending code, suggesting a problem with the turbo. Sure enough, when Renault did check the car, a problem with the turbo was found, and a replacement ordered. This was just before Christmas, and the part didn't come in until the new year.

Took my Twingo in for the replacement to be fitted... Wrong turbo had arrived; the correct one was on back order and would take 7-10 days to arrive. The service centre only realised it was the wrong part after stripping down the car, so now I am without my Twingo.

Three weeks on, still no replacement turbo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 02:40 PM

Very interesting discussion - I'd not seen this before!
My service/spanner light came on about a week before the diary anniversary of its last service.
There had also been a bit of a "days countdown" showing in the computer for a couple of weeks.

The spanner light is coming on every few miles at the moment, but I know why, and it's "my fault"!

This is the first car that I have had that has a tyre pressure monitor (more compulsory modern gizmos designed to give cars a "short life").

I've had smaller wheels fitted (as reported on the other thread) and I just didn't think or realise that each wheel has a transmitter valve to "talk" to the car's computer.

My new wheels don't have them, so no message is getting through to the car. As a result, every few miles the spanner light comes on along with the tyre light, thinking there is a puncture. A long press of the button on the wiper stalk cancels it, but for only a few miles.

I've now bought a set of valve transmitters, and the tyre man has got to take the tyres off to fit them, then of course they have to be callibrated to the computer.

Progress eh? In my day, if you had a puncture or low pressure tyre, you just knew, without having to rely on a computer system...

Oh yes, each transmitter valve thing is about 25 quid.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 05:32 AM Thread Starter

I still have the rev dropping issue, and it's now joined by an idle that (about 50% of the time) hunts about and doesn't stay steady. 34k on the clock. Think I will p-ex it in the next few weeks.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 04:20 PM

I think you might find the revs hunting up and down, is something that most modern cars have.
It's to do with the electronic engine management systems (emissions and stuff) and is affected by the ambient/outside temperature. So you may well notice it more on cold days, for example.

I had the same with my previous car - a Laguna coupe with mighty 2 litre diesel. Typical situation/most noticeable was on cold mornings, the revs would seem higher for the first couple of miles (a bit like having the choke out in the old days) then when stopping at traffic lights, they would hunt down and up a bit - then would settle down once the engine was warm.

So it may not be a Twingo fault as such - just the computer doing what it has to/is designed to do.
I think I have noticed similar along with occasional "roughness" which soon smooths out.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 04:24 AM Thread Starter

I could understand if it manifested itself like that but it doesn't unfortunately - it does it whether the engine is warm or cold. It does it after an hour of driving at the end of my 30 mile commute, and it's something that wasn't present before.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 08:17 AM

Spanner came back on last week with mine, along with hickuping accelerating and then a serious hesitation at around 50mph in 5th gear. It felt like the limiter was on and wouldn't accelerate past a point,
I took to dealer on Wednesday and they plugged in and seemingly resolved, but on them driving it they found still not be be right. On further inspection they found issue relating to the turbo but part to follow so I've a huge Kadjar courtesy car until part in (said may be up to 3 weeks!)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Renault Twingo Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page